Tuesday, October 29, 2013

homemade hummus

Continuing my weekend cooking adventures of trying new recipes and making things homemade that I would normally buy.

This weekend's challenge: HUMMUS   : )


I used a can of garbanzo beans, lemon juice, garlic, salt, extra virgin olive oil, aaaand I found a jar of tahini at a small grocery store in the city! There's a teacher at school that makes her own hummus each week for lunches and she pointed me in the right direction for the tahini sauce.

OH! I also then added a 'roasted' pepper. I'm not sure that I really roasted it though... all I did was cut it into pieces, put it in a pan with a bit of oil, and heat it on the stovetop. Next time I'll look into that more...

Tahini is the ingredient I've been missing to try this recipe. It's the first time I've used tahini... and really all it is, is sesame seeds made into paste.



The hummus turned out alright. My mixer is not great... nor is it big! So the hummus is not very smooth... and I had to try mixing it half at a time and then switch. It tastes really good... but needs some work. I'll have to play with the recipe. I also want to buy and use paprika and/or cumin next time. These were in the recipe that I went off of, but I didn't have either spice, so just left them out.


3 comments:

  1. To roast the peppers, cut them into large chunks that will sort of lay flat. Use your broiler and let them roast, for like, ever, it seems. They will totally turn black. Let them sit for awhile (some people say to cover them) so that you can peel the black skin off and what remains is roasted pepper. I also have started to roast my garlic. Cut a bit off the top so that you can see all the bulbs, drizzle a little olive oil over it, wrap it up in foil and bake away. The bulbs will slide right out when roasted if you push from the opposite end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, awesome - thanks Carrie! ...the Queen of Hummus!... I will definitely try this next time :)

      Delete
  2. Could u please share the address of the shop you found tahini in?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete